Life in the NICU

This is the journal of our life in the NICU with our son born at 23 6/7 weeks gestation. Beau was 1 pound 13 ounces and 13 3/4" long.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

August 24th, 2006. Beau is doing well. Making slow progress towards drinking from a bottle and stopping his spells. He's having more and more days where he doesn't have any, then he'll have 2-5. It's really frustrating, but the hospital says it's all about stopping his reflux and him getting older. Meaning, his reflux makes him spell because it hurts and all of it boils down to immaturity.

Currently he's 86 days old, 36 weeks gestational age, and 5 pounds 2 ounces. I'm really hoping his spells will continue to decrease until there are none. He took 20 mL from a bottle for me yesterday for the very first time with not spells or desats. (Desats are drops in his blood oxygen level)

He had his follow up eye exam for plus disease yesterday. Thankfully they've found none this week. So YAY!! No surgery this week at least. We'll see what happens next week. He still has to have his hernia surgery, but that won't be for a few more weeks.

Right now it's hard to keep my spirits up. We're so close to going home, but so far away. He's on the smallest amount of oxygen you can get from a low flow nasal canula for 3 days now. He's strong and meets the weight requirement for a car seat. But those spells and the bottling and the hernia surgery are holding us up. Sometimes I wish I could show him what to do. I wish I could give him my knowledge on it, tell his little body what to do. I know it's rediculous, but I want to do it for him. Babies don't belong in hospitals. They belong at home with their parents. Please please please, keep praying for him.

3 Comments:

Blogger hallegracesmama said...

Still praying.

I know the waiting is hard. It will be great to have his are reflux problems figured out before he comes home though. We didn't have Halle's under control and had quite a few scary, blue episodes & an ER run once she got home.

Just a thought - is he still on caffeine?

6:22 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I say a prayer for Beau every night. I hope they get the reflux under control as soon as possible so that your sweet boy can finally go home with you.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm praying for him! He's come so far, and will be home very soon. Of course it doesn't feel that way to you now I know, but your going to see a big change in him once that reflux is controlled. Sounds like he's doing awesome on his O2 settings, and it's just the reflux thing that's probably causing most of his spells. Our Madelyn's got a bad case of reflux, and had to come home with a monitor & O2, so that's always an option for Beau if he doesn't knock it off. Hang in there, he's doing so great!!!

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home