Life in the NICU

This is the journal of our life in the NICU with our son born at 23 6/7 weeks gestation. Beau was 1 pound 13 ounces and 13 3/4" long.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

August 19th, 2006. Beau isn't doing so well on a bottle anymore. Two nurses tried him at bottle yesterday and he choked with each one. They also discovered he was carrying extra fluid and are adding a different diaretic to his meds list. He'll be getting lasix two to three times a week until he no longer needs it. Originally his nurse wanted to wait a week to try him again at bottle, but his doctor says give him a few days and if he's still keeping the fluid off, try again. I think he was just stressed out from the extra fluid. So we'll see how this is going to go in a few days! Of course I'm anxious and stressed and frustrated and really at my breaking point.

Plus, we'll find out about his eyes on Wednesday and whether he has to have laser surgery or not. I'm nervous. On one hand I don't want him to need to have it, on the other I just want it over with. Also his hernia surgery will be coming up in the next few weeks. AND!!! His nurse found a small piece of nylon sticking out of his PDA surgery scar that his skin grew over. They removed it and it didn't cause him any problems, but no... that's really not cool.

On another note I need to rant right now... I've really had enough of the NICU- and I'm sorry to all of you nurses out there who are or may read this, but if one more nurse tells me about my son or gives me an attitude I may flip. Just this morning I spoke to his nurse, who's never had him before, and merrily warned her about his strong bladder and projectile poop and she gave me a flippin attitude! She goes all silent and I can just hear her raising her eyebrows and thinking I don't trust her! I hate this, some nurses appreciate it and other resent it. Some ask our opinion and others tell us theirs. Some acknowledge that we're his parents and have known him for almost three months now where as others try to tell us about our son. You've got to be kidding me right! I think they should all wear badges that tell you their personality. "Doesn't take kindly to poop warnings." "Won't listen to a word you say." "Won't validate you as parents." "Think you know your child better than I do." "Understand you've been here for a long time." "Tell me your suggestions." "Think your suggestions are you telling me how to do my job." I think that would simplify things so I don't insult a nurse by warning her that Beau could potentially poop all over her. Forgive me for trying to help!

Okay now that I'm done ranting... please everyone- pray for Beau to learn to bottle feed, stop having spells, and come home before his due date... for the nurses sake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home