Life in the NICU

This is the journal of our life in the NICU with our son born at 23 6/7 weeks gestation. Beau was 1 pound 13 ounces and 13 3/4" long.

Saturday, July 29, 2006



July 28th, 2006. HAPPY TWO MONTHS OLD BEAU!!!!

Yesterday his doctors reduced his CPAP pressure to 6. 6 and 5 are the lowest pressures babies are put on before being graduated to the high flow nasal canula. The nasal canula is what you often see on people with breathing problems that delivers oxygen through the nose. The high flow delivers some pressure but not much, while the low flow delivers just oxygen. Now he may or may not be able to handle the nasal canula and may have to go back to the CPAP or he may flip back and forth for a while or he may do great on it and never see the CPAP again. I think we all know what I'm routing for. Of course, this little upgrade all depends on how he does over the weekend and what the new rotating doctor thinks.

Should he switch to the nasal canula, he should be able to try feeding from a bottle in the next few weeks. In a perfect world he'll get off the CPAP and onto the nasal canula in the next two weeks. While I'm in this perfect world I'd like him to learn to bottle feed within two weeks of him being off the CPAP, gain two more pounds, pass his car seat tests, and COME HOME!!! I really miss my boy. It's complete agony to not be able to do anything without a nurse's approval.

SOOOO anyways!!! Lets pray for the perfect world shall we? I know I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home