Life in the NICU

This is the journal of our life in the NICU with our son born at 23 6/7 weeks gestation. Beau was 1 pound 13 ounces and 13 3/4" long.

Monday, July 24, 2006


July 24th, 2006. Yesterday I got to give Beau his first tub bath. He was GREAT! He was really fussy and crying while we got him undressed but calmed right down as soon as he was in the warm water. He absolutely loved it- so did I. He was so cute sitting inside that little tub that seemed huge to him. He did really well. I think his nurse was impressed- God knows I was!

On another note, today Beau had to get a blood transfusion. I almost cried when I saw the IV in his foot. I hate them. They'll probably take it out tomorrow if all goes well and he doesn't need anything else pumped into him. I'm getting really sick of the NICU already. I hate what Beau has to go through. Okay now that I'm stepping off my soap box- Beau is doing good. His oxygen requirements have stayed around 30-40%. He's getting closer to room temperature. I think the next plan is to get him off of CPAP and onto a high pressure nasal canula. That's the tubing that blows oxygen into his nose. At that point he should be able to be moved into an open basinette instead of the isolette. He's so not happy being on CPAP. He cries and cries and there's nothing I can do to take away his discomfort. I often want to cry with him. He'll be 8 weeks tomorrow. I can't wait till he hits 16 and we can get ready to take him home!

Please keep praying for him and his little friend Aiden. And if you wouldn't mind- please pray for me, I need patience.

2 Comments:

Blogger liz.mccarthy said...

Oh Beau looks so cute in the bath. Wow, his CPAP is so much less "invasive" than Kaitlyn's was.....Hang in there yourself too, sweetie....I'm sorry he needed another blood transfusion. someday all of these things will be a distant memory.....

10:56 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

He is so cute!!!! And like Liz said, I'm surprised at his CPAP, too! Ds was this crazy mask thing that covered her little nose and left horrible marks on her cheeks.
He is getting bigger and stronger everyday!

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home