Life in the NICU

This is the journal of our life in the NICU with our son born at 23 6/7 weeks gestation. Beau was 1 pound 13 ounces and 13 3/4" long.

Saturday, August 05, 2006


August 3rd, 2006. Beau is doing well. He got a bath tonight. He was really puffy with extra fluid for a few days but has not shed all 115 grams of it. That's a big loss. So he's now 3 pounds 14 ounces roughly. Beau has also developed a common preemie eye problem called ROP. This is where the blood vessels don't grow correctly in the eye. His first eye exam came back as immature, meaning he hadn't developed ROP. The second one two weeks later said he had grade one ROP. Now he gets eye exams every week and the one he had today shows he now has a grade two ROP. Although his nurses assure me that it'll get worse before it gets better and he's really not that bad right now, I'm still freaked out. I really don't want my little boy to have to go through anything else. The nurses and doctors say 85% of preemies with ROP resolve it on their own around weeks 38-40. 15% need lazer or corrective surgery. This could or could not effect his sight. We just have to wait and see... which sucks. On another note, Beau didn't do so well with his nasal canula trial. He lasted 2 hours. I'm not really happy about that. They trialed him when he was full of fluid. Of course he's not going to do well! He's got fluid in his lungs. If they had waited to trial him the next day he'd probably still have failed, but would have been on for longer. Instead they decided to trial him the night before and as I've already said... full of fluid. I understand why they wanted to do it earlier, but it seems to me that it wasn't a fair trial. The plan is to give him a few days to recover then trial him again. I almost feel like they're rushing him. My prediction is Beau will flip back and forth from CPAP to nasal canula until he's gotten the hang of breathing more on his own. He does really well off of CPAP as long as his bag oxygen is next to his face, but his CPAP pressure is the same as nasal canula pressure anyway. Part of me knows he can do it, but part of me says to give him more time. Then there's another part of me that's frustrated and confused and unsure of the future and just wants to throw a temper tantrum. I can assure you, if I ever did have a temper tantrum it wouldn't be pretty. Please keep praying for Beau's healthy and my sanity. You have no idea how much it means.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home