Life in the NICU

This is the journal of our life in the NICU with our son born at 23 6/7 weeks gestation. Beau was 1 pound 13 ounces and 13 3/4" long.

Monday, June 12, 2006


June 12th, 2006 and Beau is having quite the busy day. His nurse says he's doing ok. I hate when he puts it like that. Okay never sounds as reassuring as it should. It's still better than the hearing he's not having a good day!

Today Beau is getting an eco on his heart to see if the PDA is open. If it is they want to give him a small dose of endocin to try and close it. Should that not work he'll have to have the surgery right away while he's still stable. It doesn't seem real enough to be scared. His nurse warned me that I could be hearing from all the doctors involved, so not to panic if the hospital calls. I guess all of them have to call and tell me what'll happen and what to expect and answe any questions I have. The only one I can think of is if he'll have a scar his whole life. I'm VERY unnerved thinking about my little baby having to have surgery! I can't get the image out of my head. Not good.

He's also getting another blood transfusion and an x ray to make sure the breathing tube is still where it should be. I should be able to find out the results tonight. I'll post them as soon as know.

1 Comments:

Blogger hallegracesmama said...

Hi Andrea. I found your blog through the preemie blogmoms group. Congratulations on the birth of your son. His journey sounds much like my daughter Halle's (born at 23wks 5days) in the first weeks of her NICU stay. Doctors tried indocin to close her PDA but ended up ligating it when she was 7 days old. And the chronic lung disease happens with almost all preemies who require a ventilator for a period of time. I look forward to reading updates on Beau and will be praying for you all.
Julie
www.hallegrace.blogspot.com

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home