Life in the NICU

This is the journal of our life in the NICU with our son born at 23 6/7 weeks gestation. Beau was 1 pound 13 ounces and 13 3/4" long.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006



June 21st, 2006. Last night I got to Kangaroo Beau again. He slept while I relaxed for two and a half hours! It was absolutely amazing. He's so calm when he's with me. Neill sat in the rocking chair next to us. It was nice to take a little family nap here and there. It was even better to sit and talk to Neill with Beau laying on me. I felt like a real, cookie-cutter family you see on TV and in books. It's really so hard to look at your baby laying in his isolette and know that there's not much you can do. All I can do is keep supplying the breast milk and be there when he can be Kangaroo-ed.

Okay anyways, he's up to 990 grams! That's 2 pounds, 2 ounces, or just under one kilo. They're working up his feedings to 80-100 mL while backing off on his IV's. When he's completely off of IV's, he should be up to 150 mL for his weight class. Now that they've put in a bigger breathing tube, he's much more comfortable and his oxygen and pressure settings are pretty stable. His blood pressure is spot on and he's growing like a weed!

Lets keep our fingers crossed and keep praying to God that he keeps doing so well.

1 Comments:

Blogger hallegracesmama said...

Way to grow, Beau! That's great that you and your husband can be up there together and enjoy the "family time." Your earlier post reminded me so much of our first family picture in the NICU - it's still one of my favorites.

I know the helpless feeling you describe...but you are doing so much for him by pumping and being with him as often as you can! You're doing a great job, mom!!

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home