Life in the NICU

This is the journal of our life in the NICU with our son born at 23 6/7 weeks gestation. Beau was 1 pound 13 ounces and 13 3/4" long.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

June 15th, 2006 and I think I spoke too soon about that damn PDA!! Tonight his nurse heard a murmur. They're not sure if it's from his low blood or the PDA. Tomorrow he's getting a blood transfusion and an ultrasound to see which it is. If the PDA is open he'll go to surgery immediately. One way or another, it looks like we'll find out tomorrow. I'm not scared or too worried about him having the surgery. I just want it closed so his body can do what it needs to do. He goes downhill so fast when it's open. I want it over with and sealed permanently for his health- not so I can sleep better.

On a happier note... Mr. Beau Jacob has decided to open his eyes!!! He's so cute!!! He's so responsive and already trying to use them to see who's talking. ANNNND... he blinked when Neill took a picture of him, so we know they're developing just fine so far.

It's amazing the things you take for granted when you've had limited exposure to premature babies. You just assume things are fine. I know I'd have taken him for granted would he have been full term. I wouldn't be so excited about him blinking or responding to my voice or even living day to day. I wouldn't look forward to changing his diaper or cleaning his mouth. Although it's not the most ideal situation, I've learned the value of my son and just how precious life is. How strong his little spirit is, how much I love him. I don't think I'll ever take him for granted.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maggie (Sarah's mom) said...

Being a preemie mom will make you look at everything different. I feel the same as you. I had no clue that little things would be so important!!! Each day my husband and I are still in awe by our little miracle and she's 16 months old!

I'm glad to hear Beau opened his eyes! I can remember how excited we were when Sarah opened hers. The NICU was on orders to call us the minute it happened if we weren't there :)

Sarah had the PDA ligation. I was freaked out. The actual surgery is pretty quick. I think it was about 1/2 an hour long. She did great right after surgery but the days following it she did take a few steps back on the vent. I'm not telling you it to scare you - I'm telling you that it's a common occurence. After a few days, she leapt forward and hasn't looked back.

I forget she had the PDA most of the time until I give her a bath and see the scar...

Beau is in my prayers!!! Hugs to you!

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home