Life in the NICU

This is the journal of our life in the NICU with our son born at 23 6/7 weeks gestation. Beau was 1 pound 13 ounces and 13 3/4" long.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

September 7th, 2006. Beau had his eye exam and hearing test yesterday. He did great on both! His eye test said his ROP is regressing, meaning it's getting better. His hearing test came back great too! I'm very happy about this. One less thing for him to deal with.

As for bottling it's not such good news. He had a swallow study done today, even though he's only 38 weeks gestational age. They usually wait until they reach full term. So they tested him with thin milk and he aspirated. So then they tested him with thicker milk and he aspirated again. Aspirate means he's not swalling properly, instead it's going into his lungs, not his stomach. Usually babies have to wait two weeks to try bottling again after a swallow study, but Beau only has to wait one week. So they'll try him again next Thursday. At first his doctor said she had every reason to think he'll do better next week, then she said he might not. I understand they have to tell us the good and the bad. She also said that it's totally expected for white, preemie boys who've been through everything Beau's been through and it's expected that they won't go home until they are 42-44 weeks old. Grrrrreat!

I have to tell you all, that I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. This NICU experience sucks. I'm constantly scared, worried, frustrated, and so thankful and in love with the little baby I spend time with everyday. I wish I could focus on what he's been through and not what's ahead, but honestly, I can't help it. I want him home, I really do. Yes, I know he isn't ready to be home with his feeding/spelling issues.... but I'm sure all you NICU parents out there who may be reading this completely understand. So please, let's pray and pray hard and hope for miracles to happen. I don't think I can handle the NICU for much longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home