Life in the NICU

This is the journal of our life in the NICU with our son born at 23 6/7 weeks gestation. Beau was 1 pound 13 ounces and 13 3/4" long.

Monday, October 02, 2006

October 2nd, 2006. Beau is a class act! He is currently enjoying wrestling with me over feeding. He must think I'm so much fun. He acts like he wants the bottle, he leans towards it and even sucks on it for a bit. Then he pushes it away and decides his hands look like better food! Or better yet he chews on the nipple! Yes, chews.... maybe he's trying to tell me something... hmmm. He keeps looking up at me with a grin. He's so content and happy even when he's busy playing with me during feeding time. It's really great to look down at your baby and see him happy and healthy smiling back at you after everything he's been through.

He's also become quite the social butterfly! When people walk by talking or lean over to him talking, he looks right at them and becomes VERY interested in thier conversation. He's so sweet and engaging. He loves attention. He wants you to talk to him. He's really a great baby.

Also, he's been taken off of Reglan. The nurse practitioner in the NICU said she was going to take him off of the Pepcid and put him on Prilosec instead. So when I looked up the possible side effects of Reglan, I freaked! If your babies are on Reglan or you know anyone on it, I strongly urge you to research it. Type Reglan side effects into the search bar. Now I research all of his meds. So long story short, the NP had also taken him off of Reglan a day before I requested he be taken off of it. Made me pretty happy!

As far as bottling goes, since he's been taken off of Reglan, he's doing leaps and bounds better! I'm not sure if they are related or not, don't quote me here. I'm simply a VERY happy mom who's little guy has suddenly decided that bottling isn't so bad after all.... once he's done playing with me! So far he takes about 35mL from me before burping and rarely takes more. He'd rather play with me instead! But he did finally take all 80mL from one of his nurses and 50 and 60 mL from his nurse last night. This morning he took about 20 mL before burping and falling fast asleep! I can't help but smile and giggle when he does that. What can I say, when he wants to sleep he sleeps!

I hope this message finds everyone happy and healthy. Please keep up with Beau's story and keep praying for him. You will never know how much a simple prayer or good thought means.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home