Life in the NICU

This is the journal of our life in the NICU with our son born at 23 6/7 weeks gestation. Beau was 1 pound 13 ounces and 13 3/4" long.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

October 18th, 2006. Day 142 in the NICU. We went to tour the second option for rehab and absolutely loved it! We're definitely going to have him transfered there as soon as they have a bed. We feel really comfortable there and I feel like they're very capable and willing to work with Beau. They also have a higher success rate with babies like him.

His reflux is so bad that a g-tube won't help. None the less the hospital has placed the NJ tube even though I said I didn't want them to. He's still spelling because he still takes a bottle. He loves to bottle, but when he gets full to a certain point his reflux strikes again and he has a choking spell. Lately they've been bad so the need to get him into rehab has become urgent. I really worry about Beau's spells. Sometimes he really doesn't want to come back and that freaks me out. Then other times he coughs and clears it himself without any bells or whistles going off. The NICU NP has termed him an enigma. He'll do great for a few days then WHAM! we're back at square one.

He's also starting to show signs of oral aversion. I'm also noticing he does it more frequently with certain nurses more than others. Then, again, he'll have his days where he's great with one nurse one day then the next he's aweful with her. I'm at my wit's end. It seems like nothing is really going to help him. The g-tube won't help the reflux but will help with oral aversion as long as I have visiting nurses and early intervention here. The NJ tube works the same way. God I hope we can get into rehab soon. I'm not exactly sure what they're going to do, but I know it's a different approach and that's really what is needed now.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I am so glad that you have made a decision--sometimes I think the hardest thing is to be in between and not to have a definite plan of attack. Now if only a bed would open up and they could get Beau in ASAP! Still saying tons of prayers for your little man!

6:11 AM  
Blogger Jamie and Jill said...

I know how frustrating this is. We'll be praying for the little man.

7:18 PM  
Blogger WeeOnesMommy said...

Well all I can say is that I am truly glad that since we decided not to go to the rehab that my mr beau got Aiden's spot.. It all worked out.. I will be praying for him as I always do when i pray for Aiden.
PS he looked so cute today..
Hugs and Kisses.. Jess Chuck and Aiden

9:42 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I just came across your blog through another preemie blog. I wish I could offer you some hope with your eating difficulties. I have a daughter that was born at 25wks back in February. She too had horrible reflux that in our case was silent. It caused her to develop a horrible oral aversion.

With our situation we did go forward with a g-button but we also had to have a Nissen Fundoplication done to get rid of the reflux once and for all. She no longer has reflux as a result but it was too late for her oral aversion. She eats virtually nothing by mouth.

I hope that this new rehab will be beneficial for Beau. It would be wonderful to see him eating consistantly for everyone I'm sure. Just knowing that my daughter wasn't in pain constantly was such a relief for me.

I wish you luck and I hope soon I can read good news about his progress.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Tiny Tones said...

Was very moved by your blog. Good luck with everything. I hope Beau is well and bouncing in no time.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home